- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 30 à 40 minutes
- Refroidissement: 1 h
- 5 dozens for 4 small moulds of 14,5 x 8 cm (5,5 x 3 po) or 2 moulds of 11 x 22 cm (4,5 x 8,5 po)
- 750ml (3 cup) flour
- 5ml (1 tsp) salt
- 5ml (1 tsp) bicarbonate of soda
- 15ml (1 tbsp) baking powder
- 410ml (1 ⅔ cup) buttermilk or milk with 5tsp of lemon juice
- 80ml (⅓ cup) maple syrup
- 375ml (1 ½ cup) dried cranberries
- 160ml (⅔ cup) dried apricot, chopped on the lenght size
- 160ml (⅔ cup) pecans or hazelnuts, chopped
- 120ml (½ cup) sesame seeds or 60ml (¼ cup) sesame seeds + 60ml (¼ cup) pumpkin seeds
- 10ml (2 c. à thé) fresh rosemary, finely chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Butter and flour or add a parchment paper in the bread moulds: either 4 small moulds of 14,5 x 8 cm (5,5 x 3 po) or 2 moulds of 11 x 22 cm (4,5 x 8,5 po).
- In a big bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.
- Add the buttermilk (or milk) and the maple syrup. Mix gently but not too much.
- Add all the dry fruits and nuts. Again mix until all ingredients are incorporated in the dough.
- Separate into the moulds. Cook for 35 minutes.
- Unmould the breads and let cool down completely. Wrap them in aluminum foil and regrigerate or freeze for 30 minutes. Cut in thin slices of 1-2 mm with a bread knife.
- Heat the oven to 150°C (300°F).
- Dispose the bread slices on 2 baking trays and cook approximatively 15 to 20 minutes on each side or until the slices are crusty. Make sure to switch the baking tray at mid-time.
- Serve the crackers with a soup or cheeses. The crackers can be kept for one to two weeks in a sealed container.
Original recipe from Josée di Stasio (in French): https://www.joseedistasio.ca/recettes/entrees-et-apero/craquelins-style-raincoast/