- 750ml (1 bottle) good dry red wine (pinot noir or similar)
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) maple syrup
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 star anise
- 3 cloves
- 1 orange, the zest, taken off in strips
- 2 lemons, the zest, taken off in strips
- lemon and maple sugar, as needed
- Combine the wine with the zests, spices and maple syrup in a large saucepan over high heat.
- Heat to boiling.
- When mixture starts to boil, turn off the burner and let infuse for 1 hour.
- Strain the wine then return to the saucepan and heat to boiling again.
- Serve in glasses, garnished with lemon.