- 375g (3/4 lb) fresh skinless salmon, marinated into
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- 80ml (1/3 cup) soja sauce
- 80ml (1/3 cup) maple syrup
- 250ml (1 cup) couscous
- 250ml (1 cup) water
- 80ml (1/3 cup) olive oil (optional)
- 1 large red onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 cucumber, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped (optional)
- 60ml (4 tbsp) of pickled onions (if you have omitted the onions in the couscous)
- 45ml (3 tbsp) lime juice
- 45ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Marinate the salmon for 2 hrs with the salmon ingredients.
- (optional) In a non-stick skillet, soften the onion and pepper in 2 tbsp (30 ml) of the oil. Set aside in a large bowl.
- Cook the couscous as per the instructions. Stir in the onion mixture. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes or until completely cooled.
- Meanwhile in the same skillet, brown the salmon over medium heat in 2 tbsp (30 ml) of the oil for about 5 minutes on each side or until the desired doneness. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a plate. Let cool completely.
- Break the salmon into pieces. In four serving plates, divide the salad and top with the salmon.
- Add the avocado, cucumber, cilantro, shallot, lime juice and the remaining oil (3 tbsp / 45 ml) to the cooled couscous mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
Recipe inspiration: https://www.ricardocuisine.com/en/recipes/6524-cold-salmon-spelt-and-avocado-salad